Welcome to the Vibrant Vintage CAL (VVCAL) Information Page! Here you will find the fully-linked timeline (near the top for easy access), design basics, and color choices for our blanket.
Loving the VVCAL and feeling generous? Help me support a dear friend of mine who is battling stage 4 renal cancer, while raising 2 toddlers (one recently adopted, and one surprise successful pregnancy!). Click here to donate – any amount will help, and I genuinely appreciate it! Link leads to http://paypal.me/VVCALdonate
I’ll link all patterns and instructions as I write them up, this way you can skip around and/or use joining and border instructions for other projects through the year. If something is not anywhere linked, it just means I have not added the post yet. Adjust your CAL speed to as slowly or quickly you’d like to complete your blanket.
- Ravelry ebook the patterns so far, with full instruction, charted instruction, and at the end of the PDF, you will find a condensed version of the pattern for printing (ink saver!)
- NOTE: click URL in that ebook above to download new 45-page PDF which includes condensed versions of all 33 square patterns, 2 Border options, and the lace border. All written instruction only.
- Ravelry group – Join if you want to! Anyone can participate in this open CAL just by following along each week – subscribe to this site, or join the Rav group if you like
- *NEW* Facebook Group – Vibrant Vintage CAL (official) – Join if you like!
- Basic USA crochet terms with tutorials from CrochetCabana.com
- Finishing ends on squares (do them as you go!) Tons of info at Crochet Cabana
Share your progress!
- Social media – hashtag: #vvcal
- Ravelry – join the Vibrant Vintage CAL group and share (optional!)
I look forward to seeing all the blanket variations and color selections y’all come up with!
- Make sure your squares all have the same number of stitches on each side. It doesn’t have to be 88 sts final round like mine. If you want to choose your own pattern squares, just make sure they are all the same amount of sts on the final round.
- Make sure your squares are very close in size. A couple millimeters off is nothing to worry about, but if you find one is way off from the others and you want to tweak the pattern, just preserve the same stitch count.
Head to the Ravelry group (linked above) for the forum with lots of help for any questions or concerns
Timeline – Dates and Links
Note! I have updated the schedule! See shortened CAL length below – 2 “fancy” squares per week starting Week 14.
There are 64 Squares total – 32 Design squares, and 32 Plain squares (24 solid, 8 multi-color).
For Weeks 1-32, we will be working 2 squares per week – 1 Design square and 1 Plain square. Sub in your favorite granny squares if you like!
General Square Info
- Size: 5.5in, before the additional DC round
- Stitch count – Squares are 23 SC across on the final round, including the corner stitches, and before the additional DC round
- Design squares are named after lots of wonderful people I have known!
Every 8 weeks during this time, we will edge our granny squares with a DC round. You can also do this after you make them every week! I prefer to edge mine in batches. Link to square edging instruction is in the weekly schedule below.
Get ready to begin the CAL on January 15!
- Week 1: Jan 15 – Rebecca + Plain
- Week 2: Jan 22 – Ana Maria + Plain
- Week 3: Jan 29 – Cecilia + Plain
- Week 4: Feb 5 – Nicolas + Plain
- Week 5: Feb 12 – Darlene + Plain
- Week 6: Feb 19 – Melissa + Plain
- Week 7: Feb 26 – Michele + Plain
- Week 8: Mar 4 – Rachel + Plain + Edge 16 squares
- Week 9: Mar 11 – Delton + Plain
- Week 10: Mar 18 – Mary + Plain
- Week 11: Mar 25 – Sofia + Plain
- Week 12: Apr 1 – Ashley + Plain
- Week 13: Apr 8 – Faye + Plain
- Week 14: Apr 15 – Raymond + Gabriella + 2 Plain
- Week 15: Apr 22 – Beth + Mae + 2 Plain + Edge 16 squares
- Week 16: Apr 29 – Johnny + Andrea + 2 Plain
- Week 17: May 6 – Lincoln + 2 Plain
- Week 18: May 13 – Lupita + Laura + 2 Plain
- Week 19: May 20 – William + Alma + Plain + Plain Multi + Edge 16 squares
- Week 20: May 27 – Emily + Wanda + 2 Plain multi
- Week 21: June 3 – Rose + Sarah + 2 Plain multi
- Week 22: June 10 – Teresa + Carolyn + 2 Plain multi
- Week 23: June 17 – Amanda + Crystal Plain multi + Edge 16 squares
Yaaaaaay! 64 Squares completed and edged, ready to join – round of applause!
We will join with a “continuous join as you go” method of my PLT Join. The blanket is made of 8 rows, with 8 squares each. If you would like to use the joining method for a different blanket, find general join instructions at the following links.
Each of the next 4 weeks links to the square placement and joining documentation for each row, specific to this blanket.
- Week 24: June 24 – Join row 1 & 2
- Week 25: July 1 – Join row 3 & 4
- Week 26: July 8 – Join row 5 & 6
- Week 27: Jul7 15 – Join row 7 & 8
The border instruction is all in one place, but I broke down the rounds a bit over the next few weeks. By early-August, if you’ve been following along, you should have a completed blanket! 🙂
- Week 28: July 22 – Rounds 1 and 2: Foundation rounds
- Week 29: July 29 – Rounds 3-6: V-stitch rounds
- Week 30: August 5 – Rounds 7-12: Lace rounds
Vibrant Vintage CAL Blanket complete!
– 32 Granny Square designs
– 24 Plain Granny Squares
– 8 Multi-Color Granny Squares
I’ll be using 20 colors for my blanket. In case you want to know exactly what yarn I’m using, I have listed the shades below. You can definitely use any stash yarn you want – I’ve updated with some options at the bottom of this post.
I am using 1 shade of New Fashion DK, and 19 shades of Stylecraft Special DK. You can use any colors you like! Here are the ones I chose – based on a selection by Little Tin Bird (see her gorgeous post here) I’ll also be using some random yarns from my stash, because I like vintage looking blankets to be really scrappy.
Hook: Size H
New Fashion DK – #438 – Aspen
Stylecraft Special DK
- #1019 Cloud Blue
- #1241 Fondant
- #1084 Magenta
- #1065 Meadow
- #1390 Clematis
- #1316 Spring Green
- #1422 Aspen
- #1068 Turquoise
- #1081 Saffron
- #1034 Sherbet
- #1432 Wisteria
- #1302 Denim
- #1003 Aster
- #1082 Bluebell
- #1132 Shrimp
- #1246 Lipstick
- #1023 Raspberry
- #1083 Pomegranate
- #1061 Plum
Updated to add:
Vibrant Vintage blanket is approximately 68x68inches when worked in DK weight yarn with size 5mm hook.
You can make it any size by changing the square amount, or by working with different weight yarn. Any weight yarn with your favorite corresponding hook will work! Many of you are really interested in the join and border instruction! I’ll tell you that it doesn’t matter how big your blanket is… The join and border will be written such that they will fit on any size blanket.
Here are some options for you:
- Make a DK weight scrappy blanket like me! Use as many colors as you want, and you’ll need about 4 balls of neutral color for the join and the v-stitch portion of the border
- Make a worsted weight blanket! You’ll need about 60-70oz of worsted weight yarn total – I will use 9-10 skeins of 7oz each.
- Use up more of each yarn ball by choosing a smaller color palette. Do this option if you don’t have much stash, and you don’t want to have too much yarn left over. You’ll need 12 colors for the squares and final border, and 4 balls neutral for join and v-stitch portion of border. 16 balls total
- If you want to work an all neutral border, you only need 10 balls for the squares, and 6 balls neutral for join and border. Still 16 balls total
Any other blanket options are up to you! Have fun! Go wild! Tag #VVCAL 😉