Ana Maria Square
- Vibrant Vintage main info page (2016)
- Quick-download Vibrant Vintage Blanket PDF (Etsy) – The entire VVCAL 33-squares collection, condensed and updated for clarity, in a tidy 20-page PDF, along with my preferred joining method and the updated wide lace VVCAL border. Yes, all of these patterns are available separately for free linked below, but the updated and condensed printable PDF has everything for the Vibrant Vintage Blanket in one easy-to-print place for a small fee of $4. (Includes charts and written instruction.) You may also find this PDF on Craftsy, if you prefer.
- VVCAL Ravelry ebook – Neat photos of all 33 squares, each with a link to its blog post. Favorite the patterns, add them to your queue, see others’ projects, and more!
- VVCAL Facebook Group – Vibrant Vintage CAL (official)
- My main FB group – CypressTextiles Tree Huggers
- This CAL has been rebooted! (2018) Here is a link to the VVCAL Reboot Main info page. Have fun! Those squares coordinate with these. Go wild!
Try this CAL in a super soft DK weight yarn with a huge color range, such as (affiliate links):
- Beg DC = (SC, Ch-1)
- Beg TR = (SC, Ch-2)
- 2TR Cluster = *YO 2 times, insert hook in st, YO, draw yarn through, (YO, draw yarn through 2 loops) twice, repeat from * once, YO, draw yarn through all 3 loops
- 2DC Cluster = *YO, insert hook in st, YO, draw yarn through, YO, draw yarn through 2 loops, repeat from * once, YO, draw yarn through all 3 loops
- 3DC Cluster = *YO, insert hook in st, YO, draw yarn through, YO, draw yarn through 2 loops, repeat from * twice, YO, draw yarn through all 4 loops
Foundation: Ch-3 and join in first Ch to make ring. You may also make a magic circle if you prefer that method. Also feel free to chain more stitches if you are used to chaining 4 or 5. I like to chain 3 for my ring, because I like the center hole to disappear when I weave ends.
Work 5 Rounds as follows…
Round 1: All in ring, working over center tail so as to pull center circle closed tight when square is complete: Make Beg TR, TR (Ch-3, 2TR Cluster) 11 times, Ch-3, join with a slip stitch in top of Beg TR. _12 2TR Cluster, 12 3-chain loop total_
Round 2: In first chain loop: (Beg DC, 2DC Cluster), **((Chain 4, 3DC Cluster in next chain loop)) twice, Chain 3, 3DC Cluster, Repeat from ** 2 times more, Repeat from (( to )) twice, Chain 3, join with a slip stitch to top of Beg DC. _12 3DC Cluster, 12 chain loop total_
Round 3: In first chain loop: (Beg DC, 2DC, chain-2 and SC in top of DC -Picot made- , 2DC), **in next chain loop: (3DC, Picot, 2DC), repeat from ** 10 times more, join with a slip stitch to Beg DC. _60 DC, 12 Picot total_
Round 4: Working to the RIGHT – in between the final DC of Round 3 and the joining stitch of round 3 (see close-up photo below): (Beg DC, Chain 2), **between the next 2 groups of 5DC, (3TR, Chain 3, 3TR) -corner made- *(Chain 2, 2DC between the next 2 groups of 5DC) twice*, Chain 2, repeat from ** 2 times more, make corner, repeat from * to * once, Chain 2, DC in same spot as Beg DC to complete round, join with a slip stitch to Beg DC. _16 DC, 4 corners, 12 2-chain spaces total_
Round 5: SC in Beg DC and in all stitches around, putting 3SC in all chain spaces (including corner chain spaces). Join with a slip stitch in first SC, cut yarn and finish off ends. _88 SC total_