Welcome to the fifth week of the Vibrant Vintage CAL! (Actual Date: Feb 12, 2016)
If you’re just joining in, we’ve made 8 squares so far! Go catch up! 😉
Note: Are you enjoying this CAL? The VVCAL is a FOREVER FREE collection and I thought this could be a great opportunity if anyone feels like they can donate to a worthy cause. Someone very close to me is going through stage 4 cancer, while somehow managing to keep up with two toddlers (one newly adopted, and one surprise natural success!). Any amount will help, and each week I will donate 100% to their GoFundMe page for medical bills. Click here to donate; I genuinely appreciate it!
- CAL Main info page – Please read thoroughly for weekly schedule, design basics, and color selection
- Ravelry ebook – All the block patterns so far, with printable PDF versions (to save your printer ink, they are almost only text)
- Find the PDF version as a free Ravelry download here. PDF includes: Full pattern, charted instruction, and a condensed, printable PDF version of the pattern
- Ravelry group – Join if you want to! Anyone can participate in this open CAL just by following along each week – subscribe to this site, or join the Rav group if you like
- Basic USA crochet terms with tutorials from CrochetCabana.com
- Finishing ends on squares (do them as you go!) Tons of info at Crochet Cabana
- VIDEO OF DARLENE SQUARE by Nadia of Yarnutopia ❤️❤️❤️
Each week, I’ll be posting a new “Fancy” granny square pattern. All you need to do this week is make 2 li’l squares!
2 Squares and the color in which I worked them:
- Darlene Square – SSDK: Shrimp
- Plain Granny: Solid – SSDK: Pomegranate
For more info about the size of your squares, please see the Main Post.
- Beg DC = (SC, Ch-1)
- Popcorn Petal = DC in all 7 DCs, make Popcorn Petal: insert hook into top of first of 7 DCs, put working loop back on hook, pull working loop through to close Popcorn Petal
Foundation: Ch-4 and join in first Ch to make ring.
Work 5 Rounds as follows…
Round 1: All in ring, working over center tail so as to pull center circle closed tight when square is complete: Make Beg DC, (Chain 5, 5DC) 3 times, Chain 5, 4DC, join with a slip stitch in top of Beg DC _20 DC, 4 Chain-5 spaces total_
Round 2: Slip Stitch in 2 chains, All in same chain space: (Beg DC, Chain 3, 3DC), ** Chain 1, across next 5 DC: (DC, 2DC, DC, 2DC, DC), Chain 1, (3DC, Chain 3, 3DC) in corner chain space -corner made- , repeat from ** 3 times more, omitting “corner” on third repeat, 2DC in first corner chain space to complete it, join with a slip stitch in top of Beg DC _52 DC, 4 Chain-3 spaces, 8 Chain-1 spaces total_
Round 3: In first chain space: (Beg DC, Chain 3, 2DC), ** Chain 1, skip next stitch, DC in next stitch, Chain 3, skip next DC, Make Popcorn Petal, Chain 3, skip next DC, DC in next DC, Chain 1, (2DC, Chain 3, 2DC) in corner chain space -corner made- , repeat from ** 3 times more, omitting “corner” on third repeat, DC in first corner to complete it, join with a slip stitch in top of Beg DC _4 Popcorn Petals, 12 Chain-3 spaces, 8 Chain-1 spaces, 24DC total_
Round 4: All in first Chain space: (Beg DC, Chain 2, 2DC), DC in next 2 DC, DC in chain space and in next DC, 3DC in chain-3 space, DC in top of Popcorn Petal, 3DC in chain-3 space, DC in next 4 stitches as before, (2DC, Chain 2, 2DC) in next corner space -corner made- , repeat from ** 3 times more, omitting final corner on third repeat, DC in first corner to complete it, join with a slip stitch in top of Beg DC _76 DC, 4 Chain-2 spaces total_