Welcome to the tenth week of the Vibrant Vintage CAL!
If you’re just joining in, we’ve made 18 squares so far! Go catch up! 😉
- CAL Main info page – Please read thoroughly for fully-linked weekly schedule, design basics, and color selection
- Ravelry ebook – All the block patterns so far, with printable PDF versions (to save your printer ink, they are almost only text)
- Find the PDF version as a free Ravelry download here. PDF includes: Full pattern, charted instruction, and a condensed, printable PDF version of the pattern
- Ravelry group – Join if you want to! Anyone can participate in this open CAL just by following along each week – subscribe to this site, or join the Rav group if you like
- *NEW* Facebook Group – Vibrant Vintage CAL (official) – Join if you like!
- Basic USA crochet terms with tutorials from CrochetCabana.com
- Finishing ends on squares (do them as you go!) Tons of info at Crochet Cabana
Each week, I’ll be posting a new “Fancy” granny square pattern. All you need to do this week is make 2 li’l squares!
2 Squares and the color in which I worked them:
- Mary Square – SSDK: Cloud Blue
- Plain Granny: Solid – SSDK: Lipstick
For more info about the size of your squares, please see the Main Post.
- Beg HDC = Beg DC = (SC, Ch-1)
Foundation: Ch-3 and join in first Ch to make ring.
Round 1: All in ring, working over center tail so as to pull center circle closed tight when square is complete: Make Beg DC, Chain 1, (3DC, Chain 1) 3 times, 2DC, join with a slip stitch in top of Beg DC _12 DC, 4 Chain-1 spaces total_
Round 2: Beg DC in first chain space, (Chain 4, (DC, Chain 4, DC) in next chain space to make corner) 3 times, Chain 4, DC in first corner, Chain 2, DC in top of Beg DC (this method of finishing the round ensures you will begin the next round in the center of the corner – the Chain 2, DC acts as a chain-4 space) _8 DC, 8 Chain-4 spaces total_
Round 3: In center of Chain space: (Beg DC, Chain 3, 3DC), (Chain 1, 5DC in next chain space, Chain 1, (3DC, Chain 3, 3DC) in next chain space to make corner) 3 times, Chain 1, 5DC in next chain space, Chain 1, 2DC in first corner to complete it, join with a slip stitch in top of Beg DC _44 DC, 8 Chain-1 spaces, 4 Chain-3 spaces total_
Round 4: In first Chain space: (Beg DC, Chain 1, 3DC), (Chain 1, Skip 2 st, DC in next st, DC in chain-1 space, DC in next 5 sts, DC in chain-1 space, DC in next st, chain 1, (3DC, Chain 1, 3DC) in corner chain space to make corner) 4 times, omitting final corner on fourth repeat, 2DC in first corner to complete it, join with a slip stitch in top of Beg DC _60 DC, 12 Chain-1 spaces total_
Round 5: In first Chain space: (Beg HDC, Chain 2, HDC), HDC in all sts and Chain-1 spaces around, putting (HDC, Chain 2, HDC) in next 3 corners, join with a slip stitch in top of Beg HDC _76 HDC, 4 Chain-2 spaces total_
Round 6: 3SC in first chain space, SC in all sts around, putting 3SC in next 3 corners, join with a slip stitch in first SC _88 SC total_
Took a final shot with the edging as well! 🙂