- Vibrant Vintage main info page (2016)
- Quick-download Vibrant Vintage Blanket PDF (Etsy) – The entire VVCAL 33-squares collection, condensed and updated for clarity, in a tidy 20-page PDF, along with my preferred joining method and the updated wide lace VVCAL border. Yes, all of these patterns are available separately for free linked below, but the updated and condensed printable PDF has everything for the Vibrant Vintage Blanket in one easy-to-print place for a small fee of $4. (Includes charts and written instruction.) You may also find this PDF on Craftsy, if you prefer.
- VVCAL Ravelry ebook – Neat photos of all 33 squares, each with a link to its blog post. Favorite the patterns, add them to your queue, see others’ projects, and more!
- VVCAL Facebook Group – Vibrant Vintage CAL (official)
- My main FB group – CypressTextiles Tree Huggers
- This CAL has been rebooted! (2018) Here is a link to the VVCAL Reboot Main info page. Have fun! Those squares coordinate with these. Go wild!
Try this CAL in a super soft DK weight yarn with a huge color range, such as (affiliate links):
- Beg DC = (SC, Ch-1)
- Beg TR = (SC, Ch-2)
- Beg Popcorn = 3DC in same spot, remove loop from hook, insert hook in top of Beg DC, place loop back on hook and pull loop through Beg DC to front of work, closing the Beg Popcorn
- Popcorn = 4DC in same spot, remove loop from hook, insert hook in top of first DC, place loop back on hook and pull loop through first DC to front of work, closing the Popcorn
Foundation: Ch-3 and join in first Ch to make ring. You may also make a magic circle if you prefer that method. Also feel free to chain more stitches if you are used to chaining 4 or 5. I like to chain 3 for my ring, because I like the center hole to disappear when I weave ends.
Work 7 Rounds as follows…
Round 1: All in ring, working over center tail so as to pull center circle closed tight when square is complete: Beg DC, 15DC, join with slip stitch in top of Beg DC _16 DC total_
Round 2: (Beg DC, DC) in same stitch as join, 2DC in all stitches around, join with a slip stitch in top of Beg DC _32 DC total_
Round 3: Skipping joining stitch and instead, working in next DC: (Beg DC, Beg Popcorn), (Chain 1, Skip 1 stitch, Popcorn) 15 times, Chain 1, join with a slip stitch to top of Beg Popcorn. _16 Popcorn, 16 Chain space total_
Round 4: SC in first chain loop, (Chain 3, SC in next chain space) 15 times, Chain 3, join with a slip stitch to top of first SC. _16 SC, 16 chain loop total_
Round 5: In first chain loop: (Beg DC, 2DC), 3DC in all chain spaces around, join with a slip stitch to top of Beg DC. _48 DC total_
Round 6: Slip Stitch in next 2 DC, in between the 3DC groups: (Beg TR, 2TR, Chain 3, 3TR), **working in between 3DC groups, *3DC, 3HDC, 3DC*, (3TR, chain 3, 3TR) -corner made-, repeat from ** 2 times more, repeat from * to * once, join with a slip stitch to top of Beg TR. _4 corners, 24 DC, 12 HDC total_
Round 7: SC in same stitch as join, and in all stitches around, putting 1 SC between all 3Stitch groups, and 3SC in the corners, join with a slip stitch to top of Beg DC, cut yarn and finish off ends _88 SC total_