(Better photos of the square coming soon! Just wanted to let some folks have the chance to get ahead!)
Welcome to the third week of the Vibrant Vintage CAL!
If you’re just joining us, we’ve made 4 squares so far!
Note: Are you enjoying this CAL? The VVCAL is a FOREVER FREE collection of 33 afghan block patterns including PDF versions, charts, and photo steps, plus mix-and-match joining methods and edging options, as well as endless support via myself, or social media groups. I thought this could be a great opportunity if anyone feels like they can donate to a worthy cause. Someone very close to me is going through stage 4 cancer, while somehow managing to keep up with two toddlers (one newly adopted, and one surprise natural success!). Any amount will help, and each week I will donate 100% of the funds to their GoFundMe page for medical bills. Click here to donate; I genuinely appreciate it!
- CAL Main info page – Please read thoroughly for weekly schedule, design basics, and color selection
- Ravelry ebook – All the block patterns so far, with printable PDF versions (to save your printer ink, they are almost only text)
- Find the PDF version as a free Ravelry download here. PDF includes: Full pattern, charted instruction, and a condensed, printable PDF version of the pattern
- Ravelry group – Join if you want to! Anyone can participate in this open CAL just by following along each week – subscribe to this site, or join the Rav group if you like
- Basic USA crochet terms with tutorials from CrochetCabana.com
- Finishing ends on squares (do them as you go!) Tons of info at Crochet Cabana
Each week, I’ll be posting a new “Fancy” granny square pattern. All you need to do this week is make 2 li’l squares.
2 Squares and the color in which I worked them:
- Cecilia Square – SSDK: Spring Green
- Plain Granny Square: Solid – SSDK: Meadow
- Beg DC = (SC, Ch-1)
- Beg TR = (SC, Ch-2)
- Beg Popcorn = 3DC in same spot, remove loop from hook, insert hook in top of Beg DC, place loop back on hook and pull loop through Beg DC to front of work, closing the Beg Popcorn
- Popcorn = 4DC in same spot, remove loop from hook, insert hook in top of first DC, place loop back on hook and pull loop through first DC to front of work, closing the Popcorn
Foundation: Ch-3 and join in first Ch to make ring. You may also make a magic circle if you prefer that method. Also feel free to chain more stitches if you are used to chaining 4 or 5. I like to chain 3 for my ring, because I like the center hole to disappear when I weave ends.
Work 7 Rounds as follows…
Round 1: All in ring, working over center tail so as to pull center circle closed tight when square is complete: Beg DC, 15DC, join with slip stitch in top of Beg DC _16 DC total_
Round 2: (Beg DC, DC) in same stitch as join, 2DC in all stitches around, join with a slip stitch in top of Beg DC _32 DC total_
Round 3: Skipping joining stitch and instead, working in next DC: (Beg DC, Beg Popcorn), (Chain 1, Skip 1 stitch, Popcorn) 15 times, Chain 1, join with a slip stitch to top of Beg Popcorn. _16 Popcorn, 16 Chain space total_
Round 4: SC in first chain loop, (Chain 3, SC in next chain space) 15 times, Chain 3, join with a slip stitch to top of first SC. _16 SC, 16 chain loop total_
Round 5: In first chain loop: (Beg DC, 2DC), 3DC in all chain spaces around, join with a slip stitch to top of Beg DC. _48 DC total_
Round 6: Slip Stitch in next 2 DC, in between the 3DC groups: (Beg TR, 2TR, Chain 3, 3TR), **working in between 3DC groups, *3DC, 3HDC, 3DC*, (3TR, chain 3, 3TR) -corner made-, repeat from ** 2 times more, repeat from * to * once, join with a slip stitch to top of Beg TR. _4 corners, 24 DC, 12 HDC total_
Round 7: SC in same stitch as join, and in all stitches around, putting 1 SC between all 3Stitch groups, and 3SC in the corners, join with a slip stitch to top of Beg DC, cut yarn and finish off ends _88 SC total_