Free Patterns
Comments 49

Celtic Lace Join

**I wrote this pattern in 2013, but I’ve relocated it here from my portfolio site to further organize my free pattern library – Thank you!*

Note: This pattern was added by a crafter to my Ravelry pattern library – check out that addition via this link

20130907-124521.jpg

I originally made this join for my 13th Textured Circles piece, but I ended up re-working that to attain my final measurement.

This join can be used for any type square! Enjoy!

First motif: Join border color with a slip stitch in any corner stitch. 3SC in same corner stitch. SC around, working 3 SC in all corners. Join with a slip stitch to the beginning SC. (See photo above.)

(SC, chain 3, 2DC) all in corner stitch. ***Skip 1 stitch, (DC, chain 3, DC) all in next stitch *V Stitch made* (chain 1, skip 3 stitches, V Stitch) 6 times, (2DC, chain 2, 2DC) all in corner***

Repeat from *** to *** 2 more times and work the final side in the same manner until you reach the first corner. DC in the first corner and join with a slip stitch to the chain directly above the beginning SC.

20130907-124541.jpg

(SC, chain 2, 3DC) all in corner space. ***5DC in chain space 7 times across, (3DC, chain 2, 3DC) in corner space***

Repeat from *** to *** 2 more times and work final side in the same manner until you reach the first corner. 2DC in the first corner space and join with a slip stitch in the chain directly above the beginning SC.

20130907-124550.jpg

***(SC, chain 5, SC) all in corner space. Chain 5, (SC in center DC of next 5DC group, chain 5) 7 times.***

Repeat from *** to *** 3 more times. Join with a slip stitch in the beginning SC.

First motif complete! Now you will be joining the subsequent motifs on the final round of the lace.

Work the second motif all the way until you have worked 1 side of the final round, stopping after 2 chains of the second corner space.

(Release loop from hook, insert hook in any corner space of the completed motif, put loop back on hook, chain 1) *Join made* chain 2, SC in same corner space. Chain 2, Join to next chain space of completed motif, chain 2, SC in center DC of next 5DC group.

Continue across until you reach the next corner. (SC, chain 5, SC) in corner space. Do not join this corner.

You are leaving these two corners un-joined because this is an area where 4 motif corners meet. On your next row of squares, these un-joined corners will be picked up by their diagonal corner buddies. In other words, they will be “reaching” across diagonally to each other, forming an X.

20130907-124604.jpg

The reason why you immediately join the first corner (see below) it because it lies around the perimeter of the blanket.

20130907-124616.jpg

Below, you can see 1 of the un-joined corners being picked up by its diagonal buddy. There is still 1 corner to be picked up because its diagonal buddy has not been attached yet.

20130907-124633.jpg

When you pick up both corners on that next row of squares, magic happens (see said magic in photo below :P) The corner looks lacy and pretty and your hard work deciphering my confusing instructions has paid off 🙂

20130907-124648.jpg

1. Pingback: Celtic Lace Join | BabyLove Brand

2. shelley says

Thanks for all the awesome info but I find I am receiving way to many emails from this address in one day. Could it all be put in one email? Thanks again.

3. Hi there! I moved all of my free patterns from my portfolio site to my crafter site this weekend 🙂 There were about 15 patterns that I still had over there from 2013, and I’ve been working toward a comprehensive page with everything together. So that’s all the commotion! But all done now, so don’t worry! I’ll go back to my usual posting habits next week 🙂
    Thank you!
    Rachele C.

4. Patsy says

Is there an order for connecting the squares? I am having trouble connecting the outside corner edges. Can this be done as a join as you go pattern or do you have to have some of the squares completed before you connect?

• This is a join as you go on the final round of the join.. Only the first square will be worked completely. I work the squares from top right to top left, and then start over at right again on next row. The outside corner edges are only immediately connected if they fall on the perimeter of the blanket. Otherwise, they’re connected diagonally in an X ..
      Hope that helps a bit! Let me know if not!
      Rachele C.

5. I completed the border of the first square. having a very hard time understanding the procedure for joining to the 2nd square. Any way you can give more detailed instructions or add pics? It’s a very beautiful border and I am determined to use it on this baby blanket, but I’m on the precipice of improvising! 😮 😉

6. Okay, I figured out the join method for first two squares and stopped joining just before corner. Then I went ahead and did sc, ch 5, sc in unfinished corner. Was this the correct way? Then what? Do I continue down the unfinished side with sc, ch 5, sc or no? Do I finish off, cut yarn and rejoin elsewhere or no? Help!
    Thank you!
    😀

Liked by 1 person

• After you work that first square complete, you’ll be joining “as you go” on all the subsequent squares on the sides that are adjacent to a completed square. So on the second square, for example, you’ve completed (I think) joining 1 side to the finished square. You’ll continue around “plain” to finish the round and complete the square. After you join the round, then cut yarn and finish off as normal.

7. Julie says

I have read this pattern several times and I am about to start working on it. I am just not sure…. when you complete one square do you tie off your yarn before going on to the next square? Would it be faster to do the edging on half of the squares and then work them together or will that not work?

• I’m not sure what you’re asking – but in this join, you do indeed work 1 square at a time – since this is a join as you go method, and you’ll be joining on the final round. So if you worked the edging on half the squares, they would all be separate and you’d have to pick out that final round to join it to its mates. You’ll be working one row at a time – joining each new square onto the completed piece.

If that doesn’t answer your question, let me know! I wasn’t 100% sure I understood the question! 🙂

• Julie says

It does. Thank you. I was more asking if I have to tie off at the end of round four. Now that I am started it appears I do need to. Also, at the start of round 3 it calls for a SC, chain 2, 3DC and then DCs around. If I am reading your pattern right should that be SC, chain 3 (for a DC), chain 2, 3DC or easier SC, chain 5, 3DC? Then tie in the last 2 DCs with a slip stitch into the third chain?
        This is beautiful! It is a blanket for my hubby who has been sneaking my great grandmother’s blanket. He saw this edge going on and is very excited for it to be done. Takes you back to childhood curled up under a comfy afghan with a good book. 🙂

• I use an (SC, Chain 1) as a “DC substitute” – there is indeed a typo there – on start of round 3, instead of “(SC, chain 2, 3DC)” it should read, “(SC, chain 3, 3DC)” – the “SC, Chain 1” makes the DC, then that leaves 2 chains for the corner chain space. When you get back around to the first corner, add in your 2 DC, and to join, slip stitch in the chain above that first SC.

Clear as mud? 😜😜😜

Sounds like a perfect use for a blanket! Nothing like snuggling with hubby under a handmade blanket – too cozy! 👌🏻

• Julie says

Sorry, for all the questions, but thank you for your patience.
        If “join as you go” is a technical term it is a new one I am not familiar with so I am a little lost on the last round. I am reading the directions as compared to the pictures. As I read the directions the final row seems to intertwine with the loops from the mofit next to it, with the new 5 chain slipping through the hole of the corresponding 5 chain and then returning to join to the next 5DC grouping. However the picture appears to sort of braid with the 5 chain leaving the first mofit and joining to the second mofit’s second group of 5DC, then the 5 chain from the second mofit crossing over and joining the first mofit’s second group of 5DC. so that they criss cross connect as they go down the edge. I tried the first where it intertwines and mine did not look like yours and I did not need to take the yarn off the hook. I just slid the hook through the hole, however this did leave my tail somewhat tangled up in my work. If the second criss-cross method is the correct one do you use two balls of yarn?
        Also, what sized hook did you use? I started out with 8 inch squares and they are ending up 12 inches.

• If you look up “join as you go crochet” you will not be disappointed! There are so many great things to do with this join method.

To do the 5 chain flat braid join that I work here on the final round, you need:

Motif A – totally completed through all rounds, including the 5 chain final round

Motif B – completed up to the final round, waiting for final round

Ready to work final round of Motif B:

Work 1 side of motif B without any joining. Just work like normal with corner 1 and then 5 chains side.

At corner 2: work 2 chains, remove working loop from hook, insert hook in corner on Motif A, replace working loop on hook, chain-1 – this chain will be “around” the corner chain of Motif A, and this is why it looks like the chains are “braided” – then work 2 chains to finish the 5-chain corner on Motif B. Finish the corner..

Down the joining side of Motif B, on every 5-chain loop, do the same as you did in the corner… Chain-2, release loop from hook, insert hook in 5-chain space on Motif A, put loop back on hook, chain-1, chain-2, and SC on Motif B.

Once you complete the joining side, work the remaining 2 sides plain without joining anything – this completes Motif B.

You have to take the loop off the hook to do this join, or the chain loops won’t look like the photo.

I use worsted weight yarn with 6mm hook.

Hope this helps! 🙂
        Rachele C.

• Julie says

I finally finished the afghan and it looks amazing. It ended up being so large that I have split it in two and I am working on the second that I plan to give away. Thank you so much for your patience and helping me through the pattern. It turned out beautiful!

8. Becky Lintner says

Becky
    Cypresstextiles.net will not load on my Kindle Fire. Can you help?

9. Nikki Mehaffey says

Hi! I’m using this join for my Moogly 2015 CAL. I was wondering if you had any borders you like to use when you use this join. It’s really beautiful and it’s working out so well on this project! 🙂

10. Pingback: Celtic Lace Junior and Mini!  | CypressTextiles

11. Pingback: Joining Options!  | CypressTextiles

12. Renae Camp says

This is so cool.. I have a granny square afghan that I made for my mom who recently passed. It’s 17 years old and a beginners project. I’ll have to take the squares apart and rejoin them. Can I send you a pic of the square to get an idea to rejoin them? Thanks.

13. Cyn F says

Incredibly beautiful join. Thanks so much for sharing your pattern and technique. Is there a ‘print friendly’ button somewhere on your site that I missed? Sure would be nice to print the instructions and put into my hooky basket [which is no where near the laptop].
    Thanks again… your instructions are crystal!

• Hi there! Yes I don’t really recommend printing because it may be more pages than you bargained for! And the ink also.. But I have heard of someone commenting that she was able to save the text and photos straight as a PDF file and print it that way.. But I’m not too sure how it works!
      Hopefully that at least point you in a direction that will help!
      Thank you for the kind word! 🙂
      Rachele C.

14. Pingback: Stacy’s Rose and Gingham Afghan | craftcrazygran

15. Sharon Dalrymple says

Can this join be used for hexagons? I have only seen pictures of squares.

• I have been asked this, but I haven’t seen it before! I would give this advice: reduce the amount of sts in the “corners” so that instead of turning a 90 degree square angle, it turns a softer angle (mathematicians will know that number angle 😜😜😜) for a hexagon. I believe it will work!! Just need to fiddle with it 👌🏻👌🏻

16. Jules says

So, I have my first row joined and I’m now starting on row 2. I might be missing something, but could you explain how to join a square that isn’t on the edge of the blanket? This is my first granny square Afghan and I’m feeling like a newby right now. Lol

17. Elizabeth Marshall says

Hi 🙂 I love this method of joining and have joined two squares so far and am now stuck 😦 Where do i add my third and subsequent squares please? I would add a pic but i dont know how 🙂 Thank you in anticipation. x

18. Gert says

Hello,

I would like to know if after I join two sides together do I cut the yarn on ever motif before the Un joined corner?

• No, you will work all the way around the square on every motif, joining only on sides that are adjacent to completed motifs. Only cut yarn after final round is complete on each square.

19. Gert says

Hello,

I completed one square, the next square I completed three sides. I joined the two sides together, leaving the end open. Now do I cut my thread?

20. Whitney says

In my squares there are 2 stitches in the corners. Where would u recommend placing the 3SC in the first round motif?

• Mhm… well let’s see if that were me, I wouldn’t do a 3sc.. I would SC, chain 2 (or 3, whatever you think looks best), then SC in the next corner st. Would that work for you?
      Rachele C.

21. I have yet to try a join as you go, simply wasn’t inspired… you have definitely changed that! Now just need the right afghan and time. But will absolutely try this at some point. It is simply too beautiful not to! By the way I like to save/print copies of my fav’s which is fairly simple. Position your cursor over the first word and double click. This should highlight the first word. While holding down the shift key, move the cursor to the end of what you want to copy and click once. Everything should now be highlighted. Release shift key and depress Ctrl (control) key and letter “c” key at same time. This copies everything that is highlighted and can now be pasted into any word processing program. If you are running Microsoft, use Word. Open a new blank document and either use paste on the menu bar or depress Ctrl and “v” at the same time. Hope this helps

• Thanks for the great advice!! I’m glad you’ll give it a go – I think you’ll feel happy with it enough to add the technique in your crochet repertoire at least! Happy crafting, – Rachele C.

22. Pingback: 2016 – what a year. – Catherine's Crochet Corner

23. Love Celtic connect for afghans. Having difficulty sorting out connecting squares. Am left handed, old and have add pic one. If you could clarify :
    Do I finish one square and do one finish one side of next square to join.?
    Am also visual learner.
    Thanks
    Peggy k

• Hi there! You’ll work the border completely on every square, joining adjacent sides as you go. But when you cut yarn for each square, you’ll have worked the final round completely. Hope this helps! Good lock muddling through it; it’s one of my older tutorials, and I’ve gotten much better over the years! 🙂
      Rachele C.

24. Pingback: The Great Holiday Craft – The Write Melony

25. Liezel says

Hi, I’m not sure where to put my hook when I get to joining the loops of the adjacent corners. I ch2 after joining the last motif then I want to put the hook into the top of the sc before the corner loop of 5. But then I don’t know where to go from there as it seems I need to get my yarn to the 3rd chain from the sc so I can join the two loops to make the two sides of the magic star.

• Hi there! When you ch 2, you put your hook straight into the corner loop. Then when you chain, it ends up “around” the corner loop, “encasing” it. Then ch 2 to finish the corner loop on the motif in progress, and continue. The motifs will be joined at diagonally located corner loops.
      Hope this helps a bit! I can assist further if needed.
      Thank you!
      Rachele C.

• Liezel says

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Once I’ve encased the corner loop do I do the same to the diagnal square corner loop. How do I get them to have a nice flat join? I’ve also come to the conclusion the join as you go method should not me the last side of my square I’m attaching. Is that right?

Question? Comment? Let's chat!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s