Teresa and Carolyn Squares
- Vibrant Vintage main info page (2016)
- Quick-download Vibrant Vintage Blanket PDF (Etsy) – The entire VVCAL 33-squares collection, condensed and updated for clarity, in a tidy 20-page PDF, along with my preferred joining method and the updated wide lace VVCAL border. Yes, all of these patterns are available separately for free linked below, but the updated and condensed printable PDF has everything for the Vibrant Vintage Blanket in one easy-to-print place for a small fee of $4. (Includes charts and written instruction.) You may also find this PDF on Craftsy, if you prefer.
- VVCAL Ravelry ebook – Neat photos of all 33 squares, each with a link to its blog post. Favorite the patterns, add them to your queue, see others’ projects, and more!
- VVCAL Facebook Group – Vibrant Vintage CAL (official)
- My main FB group – CypressTextiles Tree Huggers
- This CAL has been rebooted! (2018) Here is a link to the VVCAL Reboot Main info page. Have fun! Those squares coordinate with these. Go wild!
Try this CAL in a super soft DK weight yarn with a huge color range, such as (affiliate links):
Beg DC = (SC, Chain 1)
Picot = Chain 3, SC in previous stitch
Foundation: Ch-5 and join in first Ch to make ring.
Round 1: All in ring: work Beg DC, DC, *(Picot, 3DC) 7 times, Picot, DC, join with Sl St in Beg DC _24 DC, 8 Picot total_
Round 2: In same stitch as joining, Beg DC, (Chain 4, skip DC, skip picot, skip DC, DC in next st) 7 times, chain 4, join with SL ST in Beg DC _8 DC, 8 chain-4 spaces total_
Round 3: All in first chain space: Beg DC, 4DC (chain 2, 5DC in next chain space) 7 times, chain 2, join with sl st in Beg DC _40 DC, 8 chain-2 spaces total_
Round 4: In same st as joining, 2SC. (SC in next 3 sts, 2SC, chain 2, 2SC in next st) 7 times, SC in next 3 sts, 2SC in next st, chain 2, join with sl st in first SC _56SC, 8 chain-2 space total_
Round 5: Beg DC in st to the LEFT of join, ** DC, HDC, HDC, SC in next 5 sts including chain-2 space, HDC, HDC, DC, DC, (3C, chain 2, 3DC) in next chain to make corner, skip 1, DC. Repeat from ** 3 times, omitting final DC on third repeat. Join with sl st to Beg DC. _40DC, 16HDC, 20SC, 4 chain-2 space total_
Round 6: SC in all sts around, placing 3SC in all 4 corners. Join with a slip st in first SC. _88SC total
2DC Cluster – (YO, insert hook in stitch, YO, pull up loop, YO, draw yarn through 2 loops on hook) twice, YO and draw yarn through all 3 loops on hook.
Beg 2DC Cluster – Beg DC and DC in same st.. Beg does not count as stitch. When joining, join with slip st in DC, skipping over Beg DC.
Foundation: Ch-3 and join in first Ch to make ring.
Round 1: All in ring, work 8 SC. _8 SC total_
Round 2: All in ring: work Beg 2DC Cluster, (Chain 3, 2DC Cluster) 7 times, chain 3, join with sl st in Beg 2DC Cluster _8 2DC clusters, 8 chain-3 space total_
Round 3: Slip st in first chain, SC in same chain space, (chain 5, SC in next chain space) 7 times, chain 5, join with sl st in first SC _8 SC, 8 chain-5 space total_
Round 4: slip st in first 2 chains, SC in same chain space, (chain 2, 2DC cluster in next SC, chain 2, SC in next chain space) 8 times, omitting final SC. Join with sl st in first SC _8 2DC cluster, 16 chain-2 space, 8 SC total_
Round 5: SC in same st as join, (chain 3, SC in cluster, chain 3, SC in SC) 8 times around, omitting final SC, join with slip st in first SC _16SC, 16 chain-3 space total_
Round 6: All in same st as join: (Beg 2DC cluster, chain 3, 2DC cluster) * chain 2, (SC in next chain space, chain 3) 3 times, SC in next chain space, chain 2, (2DC cluster, chain 3, 2DC cluster) in next SC to make corner, repeat from * 3 times, omitting corner on third repeat, join with sl st in beg 2DC cluster. _8 2DC clusters, 16 SC, 16 chain-3 space, 8 chain-2 space total_
Round 7: (5SC in chain space, 3SC in next 5 chain spaces) 4 times, Join with a slip st in first SC. _80SC total_
Round 8: 3SC in corner SC. SC in all sts around, placing 3SC in 3 more corners. Join with a slip st in first SC. _88SC total_