- Vibrant Vintage main info page (2016)
- VVCAL Ravelry ebook – Neat photos of all 33 squares, each with a link to its blog post. Favorite the patterns, add them to your queue, see others’ projects, and more!
- Quick-download Vibrant Vintage Blanket PDF (Etsy) – The entire VVCAL 33-squares collection, condensed and updated for clarity, in a tidy PDF, along with my preferred joining method and the updated wide lace VVCAL border. Yes, all of these patterns are available separately for free linked below, but the updated and condensed printable PDF has everything for the Vibrant Vintage Blanket in one place for a small fee of $4. (Includes charts and written instruction.) You may also find this PDF on Craftsy, if you prefer.
- VVCAL Facebook Group – Vibrant Vintage CAL (official)
- My main FB group – CypressTextiles Tree Huggers
- This CAL has been rebooted! (2018) Here is a link to the VVCAL Reboot Main info page. Have fun! Those squares coordinate with these. Go wild!
Try this CAL in a super soft DK weight yarn with a huge color range, such as (affiliate links):
- Beg DC = (SC, Ch-1)
- Beg Tall Puff = Pull up long loop (about 1in), **YO, insert hook in space indicated, YO, draw up a loop as long as initial loop, repeat from ** once more, YO, draw yarn through all 5 loops, chain 1 to finish Beg Tall Puff
- Tall Puff = **YO, insert hook in space indicated, YO, draw up a long loop (about 1in), repeat from ** twice more, keeping all loops the same height as initial loop, YO, draw yarn through all 7 loops, chain 1 to finish Tall Puff
Foundation: Ch-3 and join in first Ch to make ring. You may also make a magic circle if you prefer that method. Also feel free to chain more stitches if you are used to chaining 4 or 5. I like to chain 3 for my ring, because I like the center hole to disappear when I weave ends.
Work 6 Rounds as follows…
Round 1: All in ring, working over center tail so as to pull center circle closed tight when square is complete: Make Beg Tall Puff, **Ch-2, make Tall Puff, repeat from ** 6 times more, Ch-1, HDC in top of Beg Tall Puff to complete round _8 Tall Puff, 8 chain loop total_
Round 2: SC in same spot – over HDC, Ch-6, **SC in next chain space, Ch-6, repeat from ** 6 times more, join with a slip stitch to first SC. _8 6-Chain Loops, 8 SC total_
Round 3: Slip stitch in first chain of first 6-chain loop, make Beg Tall Puff, make 4 Tall Puffs, SC in next 6-chain loop, **Ch-1, make 5 Tall Puffs in next 6-chain loop, SC in next 6-chain loop, repeat from ** 2 times more, Ch-1, join with slip stitch in top of Beg Tall Puff. _20 Tall Puff, 4 SC, 4 Ch-1 total_
Round 4: Beg DC in chain space, Ch-1, **(HDCin next chain space, Ch-1) 2 times, DC in next chain space, Ch-1, (3TR, Ch-3, 3TR) all in next SC, Ch-1, DC between next 2 Tall Puffs, repeat from ** 3 times more, omitting final DC of third time repeating. Join with a slip stitch to top of the Beg DC _24 TR, 8 DC, 8 HDC, 5 Ch-1 spaces, 4 Ch-3 spaces total_
Round 5: SC in chain space, **SC in all stitches and chain spaces across to corner chain space, 5SC in corner chain space, repeat from ** 3 times more, SC in all stitches and chain spaces to first SC, join with a slip stitch to first SC. _80 SC total_
Round 6: SC in first SC and in all stitches around, putting 3SC in all 4 corners, join with a slip stitch in first SC, cut yarn and finish off ends. _88 SC total_
Double check that your squares are the same size 🙂