Hey-ooooohh! It’s me again – bringing you a new freebie. This one’s a border that looks like a line of connected leaves.. hence the name! For the demo sample, I used Scheepjes Softfun* in color 2535, a lush leafy green shade.
Use the Big Leaf Border pattern for any size blanket. Head over to the Ravelry page for a PDF version (coming soon!) or keep scrolling and we’ll get started!
- Border is 7 rounds
- With DK weight yarn and size H hook, I get a width of approximately 2 inches
- Use the same hook you used in the blanket body for Rounds 1-6, then switch to a hook size smaller for Round 7
- Beg DC = (SC, Chain 1)
- DC4tog = (in next St work DC up to final step, leaving behind one loop on hook) 4 times, YO, draw yarn through all 5 loops on hook
- 3DC Cluster = in indicated st/sp, work DC up to final step, leaving behind one loop on hook 3 times in same spot, YO, draw yarn through all 4 loops on hook
- 4DC Cluster = in indicated st/sp, work DC up to final step, leaving behind one loop on hook 4 times in same spot, YO, draw yarn through all 5 loops on hook
- Reverse SC (crab st) = Insert hook in st to the RIGHT, YO, pull up loop, YO, draw yarn through both loops on hook. Repeat for entirety of border.
NOTE: Rounds 1 and 2 are optional, but I use them to even out any jagged edge of the raw blanket, this way I can begin round 3 with a smooth, straight edge. If your blanket already has perfect edges and you’d like to jump into round 3, you can do so and work a narrower 5-round border instead.
Rnd 1 Join yarn with sl st in any corner st or space, 3SC in same st/sp. SC in all sts around, putting 3SC in all 3 remaining corners. Join with sl st in first SC.
Rnd 2 In corner SC, (Beg DC, Chain 2, 2DC), DC in all sts across to corner st, (2DC, Chain 2, 2DC) in corner st, repeat around in this manner until first corner is reached. DC in first corner to complete it, join with sl st in Beg DC.
Rnd 3 3SC in chain space, SC in all sts around, placing 3SC in 3 remaining chain space corners. Join with sl st to first SC.
Rnd 4 In center SC, (Beg DC, chain 1, 4DC), ** (skip 2, 4DC in next st) across to next corner. (4DC, chain 1, 4DC) in corner st, repeat from ** around blanket to first corner. 3DC in first corner to complete it, join with sl st in Beg DC.
NOTE: Round 4 will look somewhat cramped. This is correct, and all will flatten back out with Round 5.
Rnd 5 In corner chain space, (Beg DC, 3DC Cluster). ** (Chain 3, DC4tog over next 4 sts) across to corner chain space. Chain 3, 4DC Cluster in chain space to make corner, repeat from ** around blanket to first corner. Chain 3, and join with sl st in top of 3DC Cluster.
Rnd 6 3SC in top of 3DC Cluster (same spot as join). (3SC in all chain spaces across to corner, 3SC in 4DC Cluster) repeat around to first corner. Join with sl st in first SC.
Rnd 7 Reverse SC in all sts around. Do not add in any extra sts at corners. This we’ll create a nice, rounded corner. Join with sl st in first Rev SC. Cut yarn and finish off.
Done! Have fun with this one on your leafy Spring or Fall projects! ❤️❤️
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using the links marked with an asterisk*. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, and it helps keep CypressTextiles going!
Categories: Free Patterns