I am so excited to finally offer my Hexagon Burst free pattern to you all! This hexie was made with the classic Sunburst square in mind (hey-hey Priscilla Hewitt – my crochet idol!) but I made 2DC clusters in place of the puff stitches, and I added an oversized outer petal round. Oh yeah, and I jammed a zillion petals on it.. 🙂
- Scheepjes ColourCrafter Velvet* – DK weight – One ball each, colors: 860-Fonda, 855-Chaplin, 850-Crawford, 844-Hepburn, 841-Kelly, 851-Gardner, 852-Garland, 848-Rogers, 856-Grant, 858-Martin, 859-Burton, 854-Turner, 853-Leigh
- Size H hook for body and G hook for final Border round.
- Size: 50×64″
Here’s a general outline of how the blanket is constructed.
First, make the pretty motifs!
Once you make all the motifs, join them with your favorite method! I’ve been crushing hard on the Flat Zipper Join by Dedri Uys. Any join will work, so use your fave!
If I’m honest, I used my freebie SC PLT join on the blanket in the photos, but I didn’t include it in the pattern because I wanted to avoid complexity. By all means, read up on it and join as you go on Round/Row 9 of motifs. Go wild!
In the actual pattern, I describe a simpler join method involving slip st through back loops only.
Once all motifs are joined, we’ll square off the zig-zag edges and make the 7-round Big Leaf Border. And ta-da! Done! 🙂
Related Links Quick Reference:
- Scheepjes Velvet yarn review
- Hexagon Burst WIP post and FO Reveal
- Do you love sunburst flower patterns? See more: My Sunburst Flower blanket collection, 50 Shades of 4-Ply Retro Flower blanket, Crafty Queens Modified Sunburst