Free Pattern Friday, Free Patterns
Comments 74

Rose Granny Square: Free Pattern

This pattern is an adaptation of my tutorial on the beautiful Babouska Rose blanket. It features the gorgeous 3D roses with leaves plus a granny square frame and 3-chain flat braid join.

Before you begin, have all of your roses with leaves ready. Go ahead, I’ll wait! 🙂

Start by attaching your background yarn in a chain space corner with your square oriented as in the photo below. Work (SC, Chain 4, 3DC) all in corner. 4DC in next chain space, DC in SC, 4DC in next chain space, (3DC, Chain 3, 3DC) in corner, 3DC in all 3 chain spaces across to corner, make corner. Continue in this manner around as illustrated in the following photos. You will end up with 15 DC per side (this includes corner DCs).

20140603-212352-77032198.jpg

20140603-212352-77032523.jpg

20140603-212352-77032838.jpg

20140603-212353-77033154.jpg

Join with a slip stitch to the first chain of the round (above the beginning SC). SC in corner space, Chain 4, 3DC, create your 3DC granny-style clusters in between every set of 3 DC on each side.

On the side with the irregular DC groups, work as in the photo below.

20140603-212353-77033839.jpg

20140603-212353-77033494.jpg

At the end of the round, join in the first chain as before. (SC, Chain 5, SC) all in corner space (corner made), Chain 3, SC between  3DC groups – across to corner.

Continue around in this manner, working (SC, Chain 5, SC) in all corners.

20140603-212354-77034189.jpg

20140603-212354-77034538.jpg

Use my flat braid join tutorial if you need it! If you’re familiar with the method, use a standard 3-chain flat braid join to create your piece.

20140603-212355-77035265.jpg

You can see that the rose with the leaves takes on a directional quality. I alternated the position of the leaves as seen below, because I think it’s a nice thoughtful detail! 🙂

Stay tuned for the border!

20140603-212355-77035647.jpg

20140603-212356-77036469.jpg

• There should be a link in this post, as this rose is from the pattern “Babouska Rose Blanket” but I believe the rose pattern is only a chart. If there isn’t a link, searching that quoted bit will prove fruitful! 🙂 Happy crafting to you!

1. Pingback: Get your Surf on! | Tinker, Tailor, Sweater, Sigh!

2. Pingback: 19 Beautiful Blankets To Crochet This Winter | la da dee

3. Mama Ray says

Oh my word, tears of joy here! I have been looking for exactly this! My husbands grandmother passed away 7 years ago and a little over a year ago I found a trash bag full of crochet roses and have been searching how to make them into blanket for his dying grandfather with them. I’m a self taught crocheter so it was difficult to find something that was exactly matching her roses!!!! Praise the Lord and thank you!

4. emma says

Beautiful, just perfect!

What weight yarn do you use please? Thank you for this beautiful pattern!

5. Pingback: Rose Granny Square Crochet | TheWHOot

6. Pingback: 50+ Crochet rose patterns | Pattern Duchess

7. Donna Arlene David says

I did this blanket with #10 thread for a queen sized bed. I made the rose blue, leaves green and outside with ecru. It turned out beautifully, had many complements, it is a great pattern and easy.

8. Debbie says

Hi, I cannot find the pattern anywhere on the links for the rose pattern itself, just the border, could someone help me please. THank you and have a good day.

• linda says

Hi i found the pattern for the rose on pinterest. I had been looking for it for over six monthes the wait was worth it.

• Yep! I found the pattern on Pinterest well – I don’t know if you found the same one I used – if you see the “my tutorial” link in this post, you’ll be taken to a post with a list of links, one of which says “chart of rose motif found on Pinterest” – that’s the exact pattern that I used for the rose. Happy crafting to you! 🙂

9. B Smith says

Is there a You Tube or other video tutorial for this Rose afghan?? Having trouble finding a full pattern for this……

• Hey there! Did you click around the links on this post? There should be a link to the flower pattern and the chart – the original isn’t my pattern but is free online. I haven’t seen any videos but there may be! Good luck and happy crafting to you! – RC

• Hi, there! It depends on the size of blanket that you’d like to make – I recommend making a square, measuring, and then use that to figure out how many squares you’ll need. Your number may be different due to yarn thickness, hook size, and how tight/loose you crochet. Making that one sample square will definitely help! Thank you and happy crafting! 🙂

• Evelyn says

Thanks that makes since. I do not follow graph charts well so I had to find a youtube video of someone making a square. The Video was not in English but I could just copy what she did. The only difference was the starting square she used a magic circle but the end result was the same. Here is the link the video I used for people like me.

10. Dottie says

I have been looking for months now on every site I can think of for the pattern of the rose on Babushka rose or the other one on your site that looks like it…So many others have been searching also. Would you be a doll and print it out????Thank you

• Hi there! I’m not sure what you mean by “print it out” but all of the links to everything I know about the Babouska Rose blanket are on this post where it says “my tutorial” – that post has all of the original links. Good luck and happy crafting!

• B Smith says

I think what Dottie probably means is: Is it possible to have a printable version of the entire pattern/project for the rose/square/throw-blanket? It would be great to have a printed copy of the project to refer back to when working on it. This is a very beautiful pattern! 🙂

• Hi there! I’m not sure there is one – this isn’t originally my pattern, and the original is actually a chart. There is a tutorial link here and it links to more info, but I don’t know if there are step-by-step written instructions anywhere. I would love to write it up if I get the chance! With four little ones running around spare time is scarce 😉 Happy crafting to you and good luck! – RC

• Have you tried looking on Google? It may be that it exists in a book or Ravelrey, just type in granny square (search) there are many many squares. I can recommend Jan Eaton’s 200 crochet blocks. It is such a difficult job to bring many people on board who will allow the producer of a CAL permission to use their work. I am very grateful and I a adore the the border. Thank you.

11. Carol says

I am hoping to find the pattern/instructions for how you joined this rose granny square….I love the join you used. And at end of post you mentioned a border which was coming…since I’m relatively new to this site, I’m wondering if you have the pattern/instructions for the join and the border….especially the join.
    Slowly improving – increasing my abilities to do more advanced patterns…though I’m far from a pro right now. I am willing to learn.
    Thank you for this lovely pattern – and so many more beautiful patterns! It is appreciated!

12. jean Skinner says

This is a beautiful grannysquare but not of any use if pattern instructions are not available.
    The chart is fine but doesnt outline the back stitches and how many to do, it reallyneeds more than a chart andsome detailed instructions. Too bad, many people would like this pattern but from the comments all are missing thewritten pattern. Sorry but this is very unfortunate for a lovely granny square

• Hi there! Pattern is not mine – but links lead to original author who has stated that her pattern cannot be reproduced on another site. Sorry for the inconvenience! Happy crafting to you! RC

13. LakeladyP says

Perhaps I am just stupid, but every link that I tried took me to the pattern for creating the square around the already made roses. My problem is that I am looking for the pattern for the rose. Is it just me?

• Hey, there!
      Where it says “my tutorial” is the link to the actual pattern support post where you’ll find all the links you need to get to the original “Babouska Rose” pattern. However, the original author only made a chart, I believe! Thank you! – RC

• Evelyn says

If you go to my post on 7/22 there is a video link. However it is not in English I was able to follow based on what she was doing. The only difference was starting off with a magic circle.

14. Pingback: [Free Pattern] Beautiful Rose Granny Square Blanket - Knit And Crochet Daily

15. Carol Snellenberger says

I would love to have the ENLISH ROSE granny square pattern. How do I get it? It is beautiful, and it reminds me of my grandmother too.

16. Deborah says

Thank you so much for this! When I saw the picture I almost cried. My mother died when I was a teen and she had started a beautiful afghan with these flowers (all in white). I couldn’t find anyone to finish it and I wasn’t into crocheting at the time. Now I’m going to try to replicate what she started almost 40 years ago!

• Oh my, what a beautiful sentiment! I can’t imagine the pain of that, and to connect with her work from so long ago, especially a crochet project that you know she put her whole heart into.. It’s so important to keep the traditions of art alive.. There’s no better way to connect with people past and present! Thank you for sharing, and I wish you well. 🙂
      Happy crafting,
      Rachele C.

17. Donna Furgeson says

Have you ever come across the Irish Rose Afghan pattern? I found the pattern in about 1975 and have crocheted one for each daughter and granddaughter every since.
    The original pattern article has pretty much fallen apart, and been taped together, but I keep making it, and giving away the finished product.
    I normally make the afghan large enough for a queen size bed, so it can be used to cuddling.
    The pattern changes dramatically if the roses are all done in one colour (ie yellow). The center petals can be done in pale yellow, middle petals in a darker colour, and the outer ring of petals done in a deep yellow. Of course, the colour combination should be determined by the users preferences.

• I haven’t seen it but it sounds lovely! Rose granny squares are definitely a timeless classic! Great idea for color choice too; I’ve been learning to let yellow into my yarn palettes more often.
      Thanks for stopping in, and happy crafting to you! 🙂
      Rachele C.

18. Sorry I forgot to mention that their is a host of flower squares on YouTube. Again just type in flower granny square crochet in the search.

19. Jojo says

Hi there, did you have a border for this project. I can’t seem to find it.

• I went around with granny stitch pattern and did an SC round, then a Reverse SC round in a size smaller hook. Just a simple border so it doesn’t take away from the lush roses! ❤️❤️😊

20. Aneesha Mayet says

It looks amazing and quite intricate. I wonder if I will be able to make something like that as it looks so complicated. I will definitely try it out though. Thank you for sharing with me.

21. I printed your pattern and all I got was just a lot of photos. where is the pattern? what a rip! thanks a lot. sue

• Hi, there!

I definitely feel this pattern is more suitable to view on a screen (vs printing) because you’ll find all the links to the original rose pattern (not my pattern) as well as my Flat Braid Join tutorial. This page is for the granny square portion only, after you have made all of the flowers with leaves.

Hope this helps! The links will clarify things as will perusing previous comments. If I can assist further, let me know in an email to babylovebrand@gmail.com.

Thank you and happy crafting!
      Rachele C.

22. Pingback: Easy & Free Granny Square Patterns | 1001 Crochet

23. Pingback: Rose Granny Square Free Crochet Pattern | Free Crochet Blanket Patterns

24. Louise Fucaloro says

I found this email in my daily emails. I love the English Rose afghan and would like to print the instructions. However, I feel like I am getting clearance for secret government documents I have been trying for hours to find the instructions for the roses, unsuccessfully, I might add. Where can I find these instructions? Is there anywhere that I can find all the instructions in one spot instead of going from site to site. I barely have time for a hobby, let alone one that requires a scavenger hunt. I am very frustrated and am considering not even attempting this. I would appreciate any help you can give.

Louise

• Hi there!

The link is at the top of the post where it says “my tutorial” – the flower is not my pattern, but the chart (again not mine) is there as well as links to the original pattern.

The author of the original pattern has stated that she does not plan on publishing the pattern in written form, and also that she does not want her charted pattern to be published in written form by anyone else. I have respected these wishes, and have provided links back to her site.

Thank you and happy crafting!
      Rachele C.

Question? Comment? Let's chat!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s