Hi, everyone! Today I wanted to share with y’all something that happened to me on Social Media. I fully understand that behind the anonymity of a keyboard/mobile interaction, people can be pretty brazen and frivolous with others’ feelings. I think we have all come to understand that truth.
People can be mean
Having said that, doesn’t it still sting when someone is mean on the Internet? I think it has something to do with the fact that I’m sharing my soul and my passion with you all through my craft, so a mean comment can really feel like a punch in the gut or at the very least, a pinprick that bursts my blanket-making bubble.
What should I do about it?
Over time, I did come to learn that every interaction I have, I experience as a reflection of my own self. So I need to take all commentary and use it wisely to improve myself in some way. It’s not the mean thing; it’s what I’m going to do with it.
What am I on about?
Someone chastised me for creating paid content. This hurt my feelings majorly and made me question running my business.
Questions I asked myself because of this mean person:
- Am I unfair to charge for certain patterns?
- Should I be running a not-for-profit instead?
- Am I a horrible person?
- Am I inconsiderate to the fact that people have more important things to spend their money on than a crochet pattern?
Well, the answer to all of those questions, I came to finally believe, is no. (Even the last question. People buy things. It’s a fact.) After some soul-searching, I figured out that I just need to use this mean comment to fuel my passion even harder. After all, it is true I do love to produce free content!
I have plenty of free content, because I absolutely love to create fiber funsies that 100% of people can have access to.
I also have some paid content, because I take pride in being able to do things like help put food on our table to feed our family of six.
Whew! Glad I got all that out.
So, mean Internet person, go suck a lemon. Here is all my free content rounded up, just to show how much I love you lovely lot.
My free content
This is where my passion lies. Taking yarn, creating something, writing down the pattern, and sharing it with everyone.
- All free patternsRelaxghans series
- Free full blanket patterns
- Free motif patterns
- Free joining methods (super popular)
- Free borders/edgings
- Free tips/tutorials
What I love about designing and hosting CALs is the community involvement factor. I love connecting with CALers and seeing the variety of the pieces that everyone creates. Join us!
For years and years, I was completely inept at video and didn’t make YouTube tutorials. Well I’m still inept… but now I do make them lol! I’m trying to get better at it, I promise.
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel so you won’t miss new free video tutorials
The Tree Huggers are my favorite! I wish I could give everyone in my FB group a big hug.
- I answer questions and offer support for my free patterns/CALs in my Facebook Group “CypressTextiles Tree Huggers“
No I don’t mind! Shoot me an email and let’s connect. I love talking shop and it’s a one-on-one experience that you just don’t get on social media.
- You can reach me via email with questions about paid or free patterns, comments, doubts, and all other crafty convos at email@example.com. I may take up to a week to respond! I’m a busy gal, but I do try to respond to everyone quickly. I really love hearing from y’all in my inbox.
Want to give back?
If you’ve read this far, chances are you care about CypressTextiles and enjoy the content. Maybe you’d like to help support my crafty endeavor!
- Totally free: Share, like, comment, subscribe on every platform you can. I’m everywhere! Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Pinterest, etc. – search Rachele Carmona or CypressTextiles. This is a huge help to get others to be able to see my fiber funsies.
- $1/month: Help support my CypressTextiles.net yearly website fees by pledging $1 a month on my Patreon page. 3 pennies a day – whoop! I also post over there periodically, and interact with supporters!
- $4/pattern: Pick one pattern from my Ravelry Store to purchase – they’re all just $4 each! I also have “forever sales” like: buy 3 for $10, or 5 for $12 – all sales are automatically discounted upon checkout.
- $12/ebook: Buy a pattern ebook. Check out the ones I’ve published, or create your dream ebook.
- Shop: Have a browse
So there you go!
What an emotional rollercoaster I’ve had this week. I’m going to get a cup of coffee and crochet. Hope you all can take those negative Internet comments and turn them around toward something positive. Love you guys!